It’s Complicated, Messy, and Hard w/ Harry Bowcott
Tisha Schuller welcomes Harry Bowcott, senior partner at McKinsey & Company in London, to the Energy Thinks Podcast.
Tisha and Harry discuss:
- The complicated and messy world view of realistic climate action;
- Interdependence and interconnectedness themes around climate resilience;
- COP26’s influence on net zero as an operating principle for business;
- The need for oil and gas companies to build strategic resilience in certain volatility;
- Change stories articulating company aspirations;
- Government and business collaboration and the mobilization of finance; and,
- Storytelling as a leadership tool.
Reports and content referenced in this episode:
- IPCC: Climate Change 2022: Mitigation of Climate Change
- IPCC: Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability
- Powered by data, driven by people: The travel sector’s future
- Protecting people from a changing climate: The case for resilience
- Diversity Wins report
- Opportunities for UK businesses in the net-zero transition
- Women in the Workplace report
- Keynote for the Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week Summit
Harry leads McKinsey’s sustainability practice in the UK and Ireland and is the company’s people leader in these countries. He also leads the company’s U.N. Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP) process and its relationship with the United Nation’s High-Level Climate Champions. In addition to his work in sustainability, Harry leads data analytics for McKinsey’s Travel, Transport & Logistics Practice and the London office’s Travel, Transport & Logistics Practice and Aerospace & Defense Practice. He also serves on the board of Navimeter, a data analytics tool that can predict more accurate port-time arrivals and improve asset utilization via global vessel tracking. Prior to his start at McKinsey in 2004, Harry served as brand manager at Proctor & Gamble for seven years. He has an M.A. in history from the University of Oxford and a M.Phil. in history from the University of Cambridge.
Subscribe here for Tisha’s weekly “Both Things Are True” email newsletter.
Follow all things Adamantine Energy at www.energythinks.com.
Thanks to Lindsey Slaughter, Adán Rubio, and Michael Tanner who make the Energy Thinks podcast possible.